Stella Kalaw: Cubao Series


I admire Stella's soft-lit and quiet interiors. Her images are quite inviting too. The chiaroscuro of light in some of her images (above) reminds me of the work of Flemish painters particularly Jan van Eyck.

Art Statement for Cubao Series...

I saw my grandparents once since migrating to America years ago. It was right after I graduated from school in California. My heart ached as I sat next to Lola (grandmother). I held her hand. She had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease and diabetes for years. Before I left, she was still vibrant and it was difficult to see her in this condition. Then Lolo (grandfather) came out from the dining room. I stood up and greeted him with a mano- (I took his hand and pressed it to my forehead). I don't know if he recognized me but I asked how he was doing. All he could mutter was "Ha?" He was hard of hearing. My Lola died in 2002 and my Lolo passed away a week after I took these photographs. Even when I was a child, I hardly knew them despite having spent many birthdays, holidays and vacations together. My memories are few but visiting Cubao resurfaced many that I had forgotten."

View the Cubao Series here.

Visit Stella's blog here.

Comments

Popular Posts